Thursday 19 April 2012

Trauma and Education

So, I just finished reading The Boy Who Was Raised As A Dog and it's got my head spinning.  It's been 5-6 years now that I've been heavily interested in trauma and the lens neuroscience provides for understanding trauma.  Other easily readable and mind-opening books I've read are Strong At The Broken Places (Linda T. Sanford) an The Transcendent Child (Lillian B. Rubin).  I'm not sure that they've really "taught" me stuff I couldn't have figured out for myself but it seems like they've had a more important role than "education" even.  Which, this is going to be hard to express, but they have created a kind of intellectual/emotional community for me--A set of (albeit distant) relationships that help put my deeply subjective knowledge in context and in doing so, provide a set of "relationships" that make it increasingly possible for me to think for myself and speak up. Here are some links so that, maybe, you too can get in on the dialog:

The ChildTrauma Academy founded by Bruce D. Perry (M.D., Ph. D.) who is the author of The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog.  And here is a link to their Free Online Courses.  His Academy also offers a range of training opportunities.

An Article by Dr. Perry re: Children and Loss (for Teachers).

The only specifically child trauma related resource I could find here in Canada comes from the Alberta Child Trauma Centre which does have a list for resources though mostly it seems like B.C. (let alone Canada) is off the "map."  Maybe we don't have any traumatized children in the public school system?

No comments:

Post a Comment